The Department of mechanical engineering technology is one of the oldest department in the Vyatka state University.
In 1963, when the Kirov branch of the All-Union Correspondence Energy Institute was transformed into the Kirov Polytechnic Institute, the task was set to train students of the specialty - 0501 "Technology of machine building, metal-cutting machines and tools".
Creation, formation and development of the department is linked with the name of Gennady Arkhipovich Kropotov (June 28, 1930 - August 18, 2001), who headed the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Technology in 1963.
Training of specialists was held at the machine-building and engineering-building faculty (the first dean of the faculty was associate professor Anatoly Gavrilovich Tinsky). Training was conducted in all forms - full, evening and part time.
The faculty consisted of 4 Departments: metallurgy and materials technology; technical mechanics and machine parts; theoretical mechanics and hydraulics; graphics and descriptive geometry. Specialists trained in the specialties "Technology of machine building, metal-cutting machines and tools" and "Industrial and civil construction". At the faculty worked different research laboratories and a metal workshop.
In 1965, the Department of Metallurgy and materials technology was renamed the Department of Metallurgy and Technology of Mechanical Engineering. The head of the Department was Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor G.A. Kropotov.
In 1966, first engineers graduated the University.
In 1974, The Machine-building and Engineering-building faculty was reorganized into The faculty of Civil engineering.
The department of mechanical engineering technology (as a part of machine building faculty) was one of the biggest. The Department developed two main areas of scientific work:
- "Application of a high-voltage discharge in a liquid for technical purposes" (headed by G.A. Kropotov).
- Problems of processing non-rigid parts and design-engineering support for the quality of technological processes of mechanical processing and assembly (headed by LA Vasiliev).
During the existence of the department, two doctoral dissertations and more than 20 candidate dissertations were defended. More than 150 author's certificates and patents have been received; more than 100 research papers have been completed.
In 1981, The Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology was divided into two graduating departments: The Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology and The Department of Metal-Cutting Machines and Tools. Each department had its own branch in other towns of the Kirov region.
In 1988, Machine-building faculty became known as the Faculty of Automation of Mechanical Engineering, and the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology became the Department of Technology of Automated Mechanical Engineering.
From 1993 to 2012, 2030 engineers were graduated (1239 full-time studies).
In 2004, the Department of Metal-Cutting Machines and Tools became a part of the Department of Technology of Automated Mechanical Engineering.
In 2010, the Department was renamed into the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology.
At present, the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology is one of the largest graduating department in the Vyatka State University.
In 2012, the Magistracy program was opened.